I started to wonder if I’d ever be able to say this, but I am: The cabinet project is done. The drawer on the left had some gouges in it, and now they’re gone. The three under my biggest counter were in pretty decent shape. Here you can see the fake wood laminated cabinet sides, which I was a little nervous about painting.
(ok, except for some cabinet touching-up…but that’s so minor and not life-disturbing, I feel it hardly counts) It’s pretty awful to have all of your kitchen stuff not in the kitchen. Maybe that works for people who have more beautiful stuff than I do, but in my kitchen, it was a super cluttery look. But I sanded them lightly, primed them, and painted them, and they look great. I also realized in the midst of the process that I’d have to paint the fake wood undersides of the cabinets too, since they’re quite visible when you sit at the dining room table. Having all the fake wood painted really makes my cabinets look like they’re much higher quality now. Here’s a before and after of the main wall of cabinets.
Adding trim to cabinet doors has obviously been done before.
One day I was waiting at the paint counter at Lowe’s, there was a bucket of yardsticks, and I was thinking that I should buy wood trim that size because it’s exactly the look I had in mind – flat, shaker style, and the width of the boards were still small enough for the tiny drawers.
This cabinet was very used and abused, so it’s lovely to have it refinished.
Both photos were taken with my point and shoot because my SLR lenses aren’t wide enough to get the whole space.
Then it dawned on me that I should just use yardsticks! At just $0.69 a piece, they were much cheaper than plain craft boards the exact same size.
All it would take was a quick sanding down with an orbital sander to remove the numbers, right?We cleaned them up and caulked around the outside edges of the trim for a seamless transition. We used Kilz primer, which is so rough that it needed to be sanded lightly afterwards, but it seemed to provide a really strong base coat.Look at my busy worker bees 🙂 This was about as far as we got with my family, but we had made HUGE progress and I was ecstatic!I thought about using the leftover subway tile from the shower surround to add a backsplash (which I would ).However, the current little backsplash is integrated into the laminate countertop, which means that it can’t be removed without removing the entire countertop, and it’s my personal pet peeve to have a backsplash that doesn’t go the whole way down to the countertop. ) We’re not able to replace the countertop, so that means no backsplash either! I did some research online and found that there was a special paint for tile grout. The greatest thing about this product is it has a sealer in it. Our bathroom tile is constantly getting wet and dirty, but after 6 months the new painted grout still looks great.